Monday 22 May 2017

Return

It has been more than 4 months since I took the time to write a blog. I'm not sure why I haven't taken the time to reflect in this way...in the end it doesn't matter since I have chosen to "return" to the practice...to return...to go back...to start again.

On Friday Jill and I and mom and dad returned to the cottage after 6 months away, to begin the summer season.  The last time I was at the cottage was November 12th and early that morning I got a message from Jen that she had gone into labour.  It was a quick return to the city and a plane ride to Baltimore to be there 12 hours later and witness the birth of my grandson William.

There is something deeply special about the cottage to me and to our family.  It is a place of deep connections, of family memories, of spiritual grounding.  In someways, it is symbolic of the Garden of Eden...especially if you were to take away the black flies.




I am so grateful to have this place, which is more than a place - it is a way of being, working together in community, a place to laugh and play, a place where memories surface and generations that are long gone are still present.  Summerplace, as we call the cottage, contains many relics from our family past mounted on the walls and each of them tells a story which connects us to our roots.  It is a place where we love to return frequently, as do the many friends with whom we have shared this sacred place. This summer William will come to the cottage for the first time as we move into the next generation of family to enjoy this place

Wednesday Paul and I will be leading a group of people on what for us will be a return visit to Italy.
There is a legend told that if you throw a coin from your right hand over your left shoulder into the Trevi Fountain, it will ensure that you will return to Rome in the future.  In May of 2010 I did just that and now we are returning.


For those of you who would like to follow along on our adventures, please return to this blog where I will post periodic updates on our adventures.

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your "blog". I will follow you on your return trip to Italy. Wishing you a fantastic trip and wonderful adventures. carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Glad to have you traveling along with us.

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful trip ! Mom and Jackie are very excited ! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures 😊🇮🇹❤️ Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

The 5th Gospel

On Friday in chapel at AST I was offered wonderful words of blessing and prayer as I prepared for this trip to Israel. Sr. Joan Campbell...