Friday 15 April 2016

Truth

Through the season of Lent I undertook a spiritual practice of arbitrarily choosing a word each day from a collection of 75 and writing a brief reflection - it was intended to help me reflect theologically; using Scripture, music, imagery and experience.  I posted those reflections on the Cole Harbour Woodside United Church Facebook page and shared them on my own Facebook page.  Truth be told, I was not sure I wanted to make my musings public but I also knew that was the best way to keep me accountable to the practice.  Truth be told, I was surprised by the number of people who read them and said they enjoyed them.  Quite a few people have said since Easter how much they missed them so I have decided to start a blog where at least once a week I will share "My word for Today." 

I will also use this blog when we travel to France in June as a way of letting people who are interested know what we have been up to each day on our travels.

The word I chose for today is "truth" and truth is a fascinating concept.

In the Gospel of John, Jesus is before Pilate and we have this fascinating dialogue...
"Therefore Pilate said to Him, "So You are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." Pilate said to Him, "What is truth?"

I like that question - "What is truth?"  It is not always something factual.  My truth may not be your truth but that does not make it invalid. My experience may be different from your experience but it doesn't make it less true for me.  Yesterday Paul and I marked our 32nd wedding anniversary.  It has been a wonderful and wild ride together.  Over the years we have always tried to speak our truth - sometimes those truths have been easy to share, sometimes more difficult - but always we have chosen to share our truth with love and I think that is why we are still together.

My commitment in this blog is to speak my truth, however the Spirit moves me.  I will willingly share "My Word for Today" and hope that in response you might share your words and insights with me as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The 5th Gospel

On Friday in chapel at AST I was offered wonderful words of blessing and prayer as I prepared for this trip to Israel. Sr. Joan Campbell...